This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Prospective Park Place Pawnshop! - Near Franklin Avenue. - Page 6 — Brooklynian

Prospective Park Place Pawnshop! - Near Franklin Avenue.

Comments

• In my opinion the focus of any future protest should be boycotting the building owners property entirely. The building owner has made our community less safe by permitting a pawn shop to open therefore economic repercussions are warranted. Most commercial lease these days are only offered at 5 years so at least if the property and or business owner takes a financial loss they might not renew lease later down the line.

Originally the pawn shop signs were installed over the laundry location and that, in addition to the news coverage I've read, are confirmation enough for me that they are a related in profits therefore should be related in loss. Ultimately the building owner must feel financial incentive to rent to those who do not threaten the safety of the community.

• "There will be a planned protest of the laundromat and the Thai place as well when they open (same landlord) soon."

what??? jesus christ. let us eat some thai food and wash clothes. get a grip.

• By all means wash your clothes and eat Thai food. But if you are opposed to this shop and offended by the mural you will do it somewhere else. If not then I will not not get into a war of words with you. Good day.

• Good day sir!!!!!!

• When reading the Daily News on Tuesday I came across the article about the mural. The mural really caught my eye and I wanted to find out who the artist was. I am a photographer born and raised in NY and come from a long line of artists and musicians in my family. My great grandfather was a violinist for the NY Philharmonic and friends of classical composer Dvorak. My great grandfather was scrutinized by his parents for wanting to follow a career as a musician because it wasn't considered to be a serious type of work. So he moved from Czechoslovakia to NY along with Dvorak to pursue his dream, never giving up and facing many difficulties to survive. So when researching online, I came across a blog the rebuttal someone had written and it inspired me to write.

He/She wrote:"Lets start your art education now…. if you had any culture or any love for art then you all would have done your research on the art your so aggressively slandering..that baby is actually a reference that is about a hundred years old from a well know artist by the name of Joseph Christian Leyendecker (March 23, 1874 – July 25, 1951)who was one of the pre-eminent American illustrators of the early 20th century. He is best known for his poster, book, and advertising illustrations, the trade character known as The Arrow Collar Man, and his numerous covers for the Saturday Evening Post. Between 1896 and 1950, Leyendecker painted more than 400 magazine covers. During ‘The Golden Age of American Illustration’, for the Saturday Evening Post alone, J. C. Leyendecker produced 322 covers, as well as many advertisement illustrations for its interior pages. No other artist, until the arrival of Norman Rockwell two decades later, was so solidly identified with one publication."

The open minded individual will always be judged by a close-minded individual. Artists (painters, writers, musicians and the like) are especially scrutinized,judged and rejected.Whether it be from their families or society. This is because the close minded individual is so wrapped up in their black and white thinking, they can not see the possibility of there being other colors in this world. It's fear of the unknown. It's all part of it. It just feeds more creativity into the artists mind; staying true to who they really are and their right to freedom of expression.This has been going on for hundreds of years, It's nothing new. Let's go back in history. "Impressionist painting remains the most attractive period in the history of modern art and the most appreciated by the public . Series of exhibitions, an abundant literature and record sales give evidence of today's extraordinary resonance of works of the Impressionist painters, of which a number are engraved on our artistic conscience .

At their time, Impressionist works appeared to be so outrageously modern, that it took their contemporaries more than thirty years to finally admit them - if not to like them." - As quoted on - http://www.impressionniste.net/impressionism_history.htm.

So with that said, I wonder how many of the angry individuals making comments about the mural are educated. Does their religion or upbringing control there thoughts so much that they have to go to these measures of judgement and dissection? But that is what the definition of art is. Art is the product or process of arranging elements in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. I think it's pretty fascinating what is going on here all from the opening of a pawn shop.Have any of you ever been laid off from a well paying corporate job? I have due to cutbacks in the music industry.Do you pay attention to the economy we are living in? I had to struggle last year and needed extra money to put food on the table so I had to sell my camera. I am in a better financial position now but still have the "struggle" as many people do these days.

I am wondering how many of the opposed are NY natives. What year are we living in? Better yet what city are we living in?

Thank you for allowing me my freedom of expression. I can agree to disagree because I am open-minded and tolerant of differences. Can you?

• "Good day."

lol?

• As TheBurgerking wrote, "This mural is terrible! Totally tasteless. Thankfully I don't need to see it on a daily basis. It's unfortunate too because it looked like a victory when they took the "Pawn Shop" sign down from above the laundry. I don't know know which is worse??"

You did not explain why the mural is terrible and tasteless. You learn in college that the proper grammar would be "I feel this mural is terrible and totally tasteless" When you write, "This mural is terrible! Totally tasteless." you then should give an explanation why you FEEL it is.

• why don't you protest businesses that let people sell drugs in front of their storefronts? or businesses that sell loosey cigarettes? instead of protesting a business that hasn't done anything wrong other than having a baby sitting on money. time-wasters, hand-wringers, busybodies.

• Makes you think, doesn't it?

"It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are derivative crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of the white society."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Thumbs up Mr. Met

• Here are my impressions of the mural:

At first blush, I thought that it was pretty well executed, tad harsh with the accents and the gold tones, well rendered tho.

Thematically, it’s stupid, yes s.t.u.p.i.d - it’s as if you asked Henry Darger to do a mural for a nursery school. My takeaway: somehow (don’t ask me how) that this establishment will make money (and watches) fall from the sky.

Brightside, please enlighten me on how this work can be avant-garde or even ahead of the critical curve. Is it supposed to be ironic, or does it re-enforce some of the ideas that are screwing up neighborhoods?

Good catch on the Leyendecker lift tho.

• Sweet!

....yes, let's kill time by using big words!

Although I only took Art Appreciation in college; I've got my highlighter ready for things I think will be on the exam.

Hey, the syllabus says next week it looks like we are going to learn something about statutes!

BTW, is $20 an hour to pose naked a good rate?

• Brightside,

I've made clear my own thoughts about the mural; given the context in which it appears -- i.e. attached to an enterprise I do not approve of -- it's pretty difficult to splice one's feelings to appraise the art rendered and condemn the establishment for which it stands.

That said, I don't know what you mean by 'educated', nor do I think that possessing an education somehow gives one a free pass to like or dislike the picture of a baby sitting atop a pile of money with bling hanging from its neck, and a crown tilted just so...

And, despite how expertly the rendering is, even if Norman Rockwell himself did it, it wouldn't diminish the umbrage some do feel -- and I think legitimately so -- about it. I'll say this. The proprietor knows what he is doing. If that baby was even a tad darker, no doubt there would be a hole in the wall where a rendering of baby used to be...

So I guess the consensus is that it is art, and that some like it, and some do not.

And Mr. Met does make a point. Some of the do-gooders do pick and choose the demons they want to fight. And for good reason. Nobody wants to lose a limb over a loosey/ drug proprietor.

But, for those who are in favor of this business existing -- or better said, those who are indifferent to this business existing -- do you see no link between how a business like this is a one stop drop off for a thief trying to fence stolen merchandise? Suppose this was a garage spot for buses, and the protest was about the collateral damage all of the bus fumes would cause, would the legitimacy of a protest be any less valid? Wouldn't Mr. Met's argument still be the same? Wouldn't the response he gives -- the ad hominem 'Time-wasters, hand-wringers, busybodies..' -- still be inappropriate and fuel to the anti-intellectual fire?

It WOULD. IT IS. When Mr. Met prefaces his argument with these comments, what he is saying implicitly is that regardless of what you have to say -- regardless of how VALID a point you have -- this is how he perceives you FIRST. And this has been constant danger of any argument where ad hominem exists. Ad hominem asks the listener to ignore the VALIDITY of argument but instead to focus on what may offend you about the person making the argument.

Brightside -- An 'educated' person would recognize ad hominem arguments and not link arms with those 'dat makes dem'.

In addition, your MLK quote is equally applicable to the argument that those against the pawnshop/jewelry store are making: Read slowly and carefully:

"It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are DERIVATIVE [emphasis MHAine] crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of the white society."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

The 'greater crimes of the white society' here is the lack of culpability the white proprietor of this establishment will have if a criminal who blew the brains out of a woman to get at her laptop, or gold chain, or fancy ring fences the booty at this establishment. In these hard times, why make an illuminated path for the never-do-wells who live amongst us? The 'greater crimes of the white society' here is the lack of culpability the white proprietor of an establishment which sells guns with little regulation, and that gun ends up in the hands of a Negro from Panama, who, feeling empowered, shoots another Negro in the leg -- right there near the corner of Franklin and Park Place -- just feet away from your prospective jewelry-electronic store -- and the Negro who gets shot has his femur ruptured and he loses his leg.

No one thinks about how well the gun was crafted; you don't have to be educated to NOT appreciate the fine craftsmanship of a .38 Saturday Night Special, and to NOT WANT IT IN YOUR COMMUNITY.

I'm just glad that baby doesn't look like me, cuz then there would definitely be a ruckus.

• So, there isn't going to be ruckus?

The show is over?

We are all condemned for not caring, and MHA and others will lead a poorly subscribed boycott of a legal business?

No revolution?

No more newspaper articles to publicize the great tragedy that we now have a We Buy Gold and Electronics place, just like many avenues in NYC?

Whew, I was worried about the check cashing, furniture rental, instant tax return, liquor stores, fast food, etc for a brief moment.

....all those vices that will always be with us.

• Viva America!

• Wow what's with the long posts??

• Mountain Song Lyrics

Artist(Band):Jane's Addiction

comin' down the mountain

one of many children

everybody has

their own opinion

everybody has

their own opinion

holding it back

hurts so bad

jumping out of my flesh

and i said

cash in!

cash in now honey

cash in now

cash in now baby

cash in now honey

cash in miss smith

cash in now baby!

i was comin down the mountain

met a child she had pin eyes

we had the same opinion

had the same opinion

she was holding it back

it hurts so bad

jumping out of her flesh

and i said

you better cash in!

cash in now honey

cash in now

cash in now baby

cash in now honey

cash in miss smith

cash in now baby!

• No revolution required just continue to vote with your dollars. No demand will yield no supply. Doesn't seem very revolutionary to campaign for others to vote the same way.

• If anyone is interested... The artist is Jamie Hef. Here's a link to his fanpage on FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamie-Hef/174059922622702

He's clearly a very talented artist. You guys are all just haters.

• I can't imagine the owner of this business will miss the business lost from CHCA and About Time.

You gotta get the poor to be rich in order to cut off the demand and supply. That is who sells items for crack head prices, and wants bling.

Good luck.

Perhaps Mr Met and I wlll quiet down and just watch the show. When does the show begin? I was told to watch, wait and learn above.

Has class begun yet?

• Brightside, you seem to be focussed entirely on the artistic quality (or, depending on whom one asks, the lack thereof), of the mural, without regard to the politics or the semiotics of its placement in that particular location. All are equally important, and must be considered together.

Imagine, if you will, a beautifully rendered mural of the Crucifiction, but with all of the onlookers dresses as Lubavitchers, and with stereotypically-drawn oversized noses, etc. Put that mural on Eastern Parkway, or in Midwood, and there will be serious problems, notwithstanding the artistic excellence of the mural. Or, as MHA said, if the baby depicted in the pawnshop mural had dark skin, again human sensibilities would be offended.

Art does not exist in a vacuum.

• "I can't imagine the owner of this business will miss the business lost from CHCA and About Time.

You gotta get the poor to be rich in order to cut off the demand and supply. That is who sells items for crack head prices, and wants bling."

I agree, that is why I believe the entire building owner's property should be boycotted. If the tenants can't make rent payments this will place financial pressure on the building owner. The building owner would be faced with the prospect of having to choose between the time and expense of navigating the court system to evict two out of three legal businesses at a financial loss or replacing one of three legal businesses ( the pawn shop) via buy out or non lease renewal to preserve the remaining two as income source.

Your dollar vote will either support a building owner who chooses to jeopardize the safety of the community or not. There are lots of legal businesses that I would choose to oppose, top two are Hot Sheet Motels ( pay for an hour stay ) which attract prostitutes, pimps, dealers and johns and Pawn Shops which attract violent crimes to feed the need.

• I started my laundromat boycott yesterday by choosing to patronize the recently refurbished laundromat on Franklin between St. John's and Lincoln. I actually think it's a better laundromat. Granted there is a Born Again Christian who listens to her hallelujah music a wee bit too loud for my liking, but she is an awesomely friendly lady, and she was very helpful when I asked her questions about the electronic card machine -- and gaining access to the bathroom; which was very clean.

The small loading machines seem a tad larger than those at the laundromat on Park Place, and there is an added feature that is quite impressive.There is a longer centrifugal spin so the clothes are less damp than a typical machine.

The dryers are hotter -- though I believe it's more expensive -- but 40 cents for 10 minutes isn't a bad deal.

All in all, I think it was a better experience than any I've had at the other laundromat; given also that it is in closer proximity to other merchants on the avenue, that's a bonus. I went across the street and got a nice green drink at Veggies, came back, sat, relaxed and watch the last two minutes of the spin cycle.

Maybe because I was doing my laundry on a Friday, it wasn't crowded at all. I got two machines close to the door as soon as I walked in. Anyway, there were no artistic renditions of blinged-out babies on the wall to deal with, and the large flat screen's volume was turned down to nearly a whisper. All in all, 5 stars out of a possible 6.

Post Note: Just scanned Brightside's commentary again and I realised that his own opinion differs little from Mr. Met's. Both use ad hominem in attempt to make their point. I've already indicated the fallacy of Met's argument. Brightside's attempt to link being 'educated' with being able to appreciate the Park Place Blinged-Out Baby and implying that not appreciating it means your 'uneducated', this is also ad hominem. He makes another comment about being open-minded that also leaks in the same alley as the 'educated' argument;well, you get the point.

Booklaw's point about context is also valid here. Jamie -- the artistic savant spray painter artist -- could've rendered a facsimilie of Michelango's David, holding his exposed nugget and nuts with money fluttering about, and it still would have been in poor taste. We aren't devaluing the talent of the artist, but rather the context in which the art exists. I think those who fear the social repercussions of the jewelry story have been rather open-minded about it. On the other hand, those who stand by the proprietor's right to have his establishment (and I have a hunch the very principals of the jewelry store as well) have been quick to make a number of derogatory comments about people in this neighborhood; they are the ones whose minds appear rather closed.

After all, LOOK AT THE MURAL THEY PAINTED!!

• By the way MHA, I am a female and a Mormon

• MHA- I think your new strategy "you get better value for your quarters elsewhere", may be more effective than your prior "you should not do your laundry or eat somewhere that has the same landlord as a pawnshop".

However, while your new strategy [i.e. "this other laundry mat is better] does appeal to people's inherent self-interest (and that is usually a good strategy)....

...I suspect people may continue to use the laundry mat closest to their house, and are likely to suspect that your "5 out of a possible 6 points" review may be biased by your previously stated "protest everything owned by this landlord" statements.

Time will tell.

• ...Okay

I see. I did refer to you as a 'he'; my apologies. I am not a Mormon. However I once had two mormon women visit my apartment to share the holy word of the Church of Latter Day Saints. To be honest, I really had a hankering for one of them, and I thought if I could engage them in discourse, I would be able to shake one of them out of the Mormon tree.

Things got kind of weird when they both asked that we leave the apartment door ajar. I thought at first they wanted a crosscurrent because they smelled something funky in my abode, but it was for safety reasons I was later told. All I could think about then as they spoke was the irony if someone came into my apartment bussed a cap in me and a couple of nuts in them.

"Do you mind if we pray before we begin?" The dark purty one asked, and I said 'Suuuure' purringly. I had no intention of closing my eyes -- that's for damn sure -- but I sure as heck wanted to see her with her eyes closed; And closed them she did; they both did, and at the same time crossed their arms putting their right palms to their left shoulder and their left palms to their right shoulder. (Or did they clasp their hands in their laps?) At first I thought that they were going to do some sort of shuttered-eye cheer, and I was waiting for the 'ready, okay' but it never came. Instead was some sort of sycophantic expression to the Almighty for being in my apartment. I gave the pretty chocolate the once over again, looked at my temptingly, opened door, sighed, and thought I'd stick it out...

What followed was some sort of Socratic method to have me see the truth of the Mormon way and the error-filled heathen lifestyle I live. Maybe it was Elegba, or the Devil himself, but something settled on my right shoulder and whispered laughingly into that ear, 'Check this out; ain't this some shit?' I nearly laughed and said aloud, 'Yeah, I know, right? But I kept mum and went through the motions. I really liked the chocolate sister.

But it got tired REALLY fast. I mean, there is nothing sexy about CHASTE -- not that you're not sexy Brightside (I mean, I don't know you) -- just that these two women -- from Idaho -- Idunno -- or some other nondescript cold as all place like that; one of them had the goods, and the other one was a white girl and I just don't feel white women -- no offense -- but neither knew how to 'rock it', yaknow? It seemed to me that they were neutered somehow.

If that's what Christianity 2.0 does to you, I certainly don't want it.

When they left, I quickly asked the chocolate Mormon for her telephone number to -- you know -- talk about the Book of Mormon or something, and the other girl pulled out a clicker pen and wrote on a piece of paper THEIR telephone number. She emphasized the 'their'. Apparently they share a phone. I felt kind of bad at that point and I asked if they wanted some juice or water or something, but they politely refused. They called me a few days later and I ignored the call; it went to voicemail and in it the other girl wanted to ask if I had read the passages in the copy of the Book of Mormon she gave me. I didn't call back. And then they called back again. And again. And, yet again. I sensed the beginning of a nuisance so I nipped it in the bud by calling at a god-forsaken hour, and saying breathlessly something like, 'I REALLY had a good time the last time YOU were here. When can I see YOU?' Answer, THEY never call again.

Anyway, I didn't see the relevance of you telling me you are a Mormon, so I thought I would say something equally as irrelevant, yet also at least equally as interesting.

:)

Where's YOUR thread? You need to start one that relays your Mormon exoticism to us New Yorkers. Waitasec, are you from Idaho??

• Speaking of laundry, value and price denominations that are constantly divisible by .25, given our digitized economy I really hold it suspect that the cost to do laundry is either a whole number or anything with .25 suffix. Why can't it cost $1.72 to wash clothes? Since there is no need to provide change, the only thing I can think of is that these numbers are pulled out of someone's greedy head.

Ditto for the MTA. Why can't those million dollar machines provide change in nickels and dimes, or even pennies? Why can't the cost of a ride on the bus or train go up by a dime or a nickel? Why always 25 cents or a dollar? Why not go up 30 cents?

• um, two thoughts:

1. Profit is not evil. Things are priced at a rate that you will pay. It is an exchange in which your desire to not walk around in soiled clothes intersects with their laundry machine. Greed is also not evil. When you think about it, you are being greedy when you want something cheaply, while they are being greedy when they want to price the item at the highest rate that you will pay.

2. Ideally, they could charge someone based on the customers willingness to pay, and (like the airlines) I am sure they are working on perfecting price discrimination. Until then, people really dislike prices that constantly change, and businesses react by setting a price which they believe they can maintain for a while. If they feel all of us will pay more or if costs necessitate a price increase, they will charge all of us more.

Example, most people find the post office's habit of raising the cost of stamps $0.02 at a time to be really annoying, so they invented those Lifetime stamps.

However, I do not think a Lifetime laundry card would work.

....this is relevant to the Jewelry shop in that people will sell their jewelry based on their quick need for cash, and the owner of the new store will size up his potential sellers on the basis of how low of an amount he thinks they will accept. Neither the seller or the buyer is evil.

• I don't think profit is evil. I think that profit is ideally monetized virtue (I read Ludwig Von Mises too, dude.)

What I am saying is that because there are no coins in play, aggregating cost in whole numbers or numbers that end in .25 are anachronistic. A ride on the train need not cost $2.25, or if it increases, $2.50, or $2.75. It can cost $2.83, or $2.71... Since we are all (for the most part) using plastic to pay for it, then the .25-ending number isn't an accurate gauge of profit, but rather a rounded-up number. And that bespeaks greed and laziness. And disrespect.

• I have not read Ludwig, but seem to like him nonetheless.

Because no laundry seems to be willing to vary from the standard practice, the alternative is for you to walk around in smelly clothes while carrying a sign that says "end $0.25 pricing now!"

In a pinch, I guess one could also beat ones clothes against rocks in nearby streams, or make use of the kitchen sink.