Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread - Page 26 - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread

Comments

• I do not know which loss I am more upset about. The Giants or the Mets. The Mets displayed terrible fielding flaws. The Giant Defense was completely missing. Some heads should roll. The fly ball that brought in the tying run, I believe it was in the 9th inning, should have been caught and I think that  Murphy forgot how to play ground balls. So long baseball season. The Giant owners should fire the defensive coordinator and ask Tom Coughlin to retire. If they do not beat Tampa this coming Sunday, I will never live it down! Everyone here knows I am an avid Giant fan. I wear their shirts and jackets after every game, win or lose.
  • Sad that our Mets lost to KC.

Perhaps they needed some inspiration from these guys:

Well, mebbe next year!
  • Congrats to the Royals!
    The Mets blew it..
    Maybe, next year!
    :(
  • Patsy, Do you know how many times I had to say that in the 1940"s and early 1950's, about the Dodgers? Wait until next year was our favorite saying. Then in 1955 they finally won it all and then that devil O'Malley took the team away a couple of years later. One of the things about Baseball and I guess all sports that hurts, is the fact that the players do not stay on the same team very long. When I was a kid I could tell you the names at each position, their numbers on their uniforms and their batting average, Today they do not stay long enough to garner that info and either use free agency or they are traded! The Rays here in Tampa Bay are an excellent example. Their better players are all over the league.

On another subject, you would not believe what I go through to get here on the right page. Despite hitting the right page number it brings me to entries months ago and I have to start over and get here with a different method.

• Patsy, Do you know how many times I had to say that in the 1940"s and early 1950's, about the Dodgers? Wait until next year was our favorite saying. Then in 1955 they finally won it all and then that devil O'Malley took the team away a couple of years later. One of the things about Baseball and I guess all sports that hurts, is the fact that the players do not stay on the same team very long. When I was a kid I could tell you the names at each position, their numbers on their uniforms and their batting average, Today they do not stay long enough to garner that info and either use free agency or they are traded! The Rays here in Tampa Bay are an excellent example. Their better players are all over the league.

On another subject, you would not believe what I go through to get here on the right page. Despite hitting the right page number it brings me to entries months ago and I have to start over and get here with a different method.

• Congrats to the Royals!
    The Mets blew it..
    They had several shots at turning things around but......
    :(
  • Well, we seem to be getting double posts. Oh well, maybe someone will read one of them!!!
  • Hi friends
    Warren me too on finding right page to post on..
    But I do find it in a few minutes.
    Enjoy your weekend..
    :)
  • Hi Patsy, My screen is showing this as page 25??????
  • The Giants did okay yesterday and the Buc fans here were crying the blues. Their response was "The only reason the Giants won, was because the Buc receivers can't catch a pass". I told them to hire some receivers who CAN catch a pass. The Giants are far from out of the woods. The Eagles are right on their tale and the Giants have to play deflater, liar cheater Brady next Sunday. The Giants have played  well against them in the past so if the New Englands Lying, cheating Coach doesn't pull anything illegal, the Giants may still beat them!
  • Hiya Friends!

Hope all remains well for you there in God's Country.

Autumn is still sticking around here in St Paul and we are enjoying it while we can.

At this moment, I'm watching on video the Battle of Brooklyn as LIU takes on St Francis in college soccer = 0-0 at the half.  Game can be seen on necfrontrow.com.

Have a Happy Veteran's Day ~ see ya again & Keep Smiling   :)
  • Hi guys
    Happy Veterans Day...
    Thank you to all our soldiers past present & future..
    We salute you!!
  • "Land of the free, because of the Brave"
  • We had a Veterans Day program here at the Courtyards and I was honored to present the Invocation & the Benediction. We had a very good size crowd and it was a splendid program honoring the Vets of all the services. We have a lot of veterans here and at least one in attendance was 100 years old! I have taken part in the programs on Veterans Day and Memorial Day since I arrived here in May of 2013. They even put up with what is left of my Brooklyn accent!
  • Hi Warren
    Awesome!! & thank you..
    Btw, Warren how do you get the color on your post??
    Enjoy your day!!
  • Hi Patsy, There is a line on my  screen in the "Leave A Comment" section where you can change the font, the color etc> The font I am now using is called impact! You can also center, left , or right justify your post.  You can also inset a photo But I still have to do crazy things to get on to post on the right page. It seems like sometime one step forward and two steps back. e 
  • Thanks Warren
    I don't have that line.
    I post from my phone so I'm not sure if I can change color or font from phone.
    Enjoy your weekend & send Carol my love..
  • Patsy, I feel that the content of our messages is much more important then the visual effects. I am just glad we CAN POST AGAIN EVEN IF I HAVE TO GET ON THE RIGHT PAGE BY WEIRD MEANS!
  • Hi Warren
    I agree!!
    Our messages to each other is what is most important!!
    Giants coming on in a few minutes..
    (4:30).
    Enjoy.. I know you'll be watching..
    Have a good night!!
  • INSTEAD OF SUCH OBVIOUS CHEATING BY THE LEAGUE, WHY DON'T they just crown the Patriots instead of taking a legitimate touchdown away from the Giants that would have won the game. The Pats are cheaters and liars and now the Refs go along with them. The refs are paid by the league so take it from there!
  • Hi Warren
    Last second win!!
    My family is like what the F..
    A game stolen from the Giants..
    Karma needs to come around to the pats..
  • THEY(The Pats) HAVE BEEN CAUGHT CHEATING THREE TIMES. Deflategate, A spy in another teams locker room and videoing Jets practice. Sunday, two referees standing in the end zone, one on each side of the Giant receiver. They BOTH called it a TD. Then a guy over in NY looking at TV reruns says no TD. I wonder where he is from, NE maybe?????
  • Hi guys
    Went to my nephews wedding in nj last night!!
    We had a great time!
    Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
  • Okay Patsy, How many Cocktails and Houre's Dorves did you have at the wedding reception? Yesterday was my Birthday. Now I am really an Old Goat Despite it being my Birthday I served my Monthly duty as a Dispatcher on the Security Patrol. It is only 3 hours and it is a good neighborly service. Today (Sunday) I will be assisting in two Church services. Tuesday I have to give a speech to our new residents about our Employees Appreciation Fund and on Wednesday I will be taking part in a Thanksgiving Service. Busy, Busy, Busy but I love it!

• Happy Birthday, Warren!!
    I'm sure you're aging like fine wine..
    I ate more than I should have, but I didn't drink. I never drank really in my life.. I like a pina colada once in a while at a party, but that's my speed.
    Water with lemon is my choice of drink with most meals & when I'm out,.
    Hope u had a great birthday (100 more)
    & a great weekend.
    Watching American Music Awards &than off to sleep. (If I even stay awake until 11)..

• I am going to watch the Bills/Patriot game. I hope that the Bills beat the hell out of the Pats after the way the Giants got cheated out of their victory against the Pats. I wonder how they will cheat tonight?

• enjoy the holidays bye
  • Hey Anna. That was a quickie but glad to see you on. Unfortunatley the Pats won. Some questionable calls by refs on both sides. Had a hard time getting on. Program would not recognize my password and I had to create a new one. Then it did not want to accept the new one but finally did.  Hey web bosses. How about putting spell check back on the selection line????
  • Hi Everyone,

Happy Belated Birthday Warren

Patsy isn't your birthday soon?

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
  • Thank you Judy and a Happy Thanksgiving back at you and all our "Brooklyn Back When" friends
  • Happy Thanksgiving, friends & family!
    Hi Judy
    Thanx for remembering
    My b/day is Sunday..
  • Going to have a nice dinner with aunt & cousins & my immediate family.
    Decorating in & out on weekend!!
    Can't believe holidays are upon us already..
    Enjoy!!
  • Oops!!!!
    Pictures came out sideways
    Idk why??
    Anyway me & my grandson Gavin.,
    He will be 2 already in December!
    He's such a joy!!

• Patsy, Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family & Happy Birthday too! 
  • Good morning friends,
    Hi Warren
    Thank u
    Hope u & Carol had a nice Thanksgiving!!
    Wanted to mention to you, I just finished reading "Alert" by James Patterson". I really enjoyed it.
    I know you're a fan of his.
    If u didn't read it, try to do so. I think you'll enjoy it too!!
    Have a great weekend
  • HI patsy,  I am currently reading his "Murder House". It has more twists and turns in the plot then a mountain road. He is terrific. I did read Alert. Michael Bennett is one of my favorite characters that he writes about.
  • Hi Warren
    I'm on the waiting list at the library for Murder House & Cross Justice.
    I love all his books. I read just about all the "Private" books too..
    He's some writer.,
    Enjoy your book & your night..

• Happy belated Thanksgiving Day  to all.

While I enjoyed my holiday feast, it's the leftovers that I'm really looking forward to.

Lots of football on tv & nostalgia music help pass the time as well.

We finally had snow and cooler weather here in St Paul.  More is expected ...

Take good care one & all.
  • Now that Thanksgiving is over, I will tell you about the things I miss from my Childhood in the Slope.   The aroma of Turkeys baking at Levines bakery on 5th ave between 12th & 13th streets. People sometimes did not have an oven big enough for the Turkey they bought, so they brought it to Levines and they cooked it for them! A bunch of us kids would dress up like ragamuffins and sing in apartment house courtyards, or at houses on the block where they knew us. We then would yell "ANYTHING FOR THANKSGIVING". The folks would give us fruit and pennies or a nickel. We did not trick or treat on Halloween. The relatives and friends we had for dinner. For some of them, it was the only time we saw them. The extension from the kitchen table into the living room so that there was enough room for all to sit and eat. A little crowded but who cared. Apple cider from a gallon Jug that my father poured over his shoulder. The love every one showed to each other without embarassment . That was my block on Thanksgiving when I was a kid.
  • Hi Warren,
    Great memories!!!
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday
    after Christmas.
    I enjoy the food more on Thanksgiving
    Than Christmas..

Hi Richard
    Glad u had a nice Thanksgiving
    too!!
    Enjoy the leftovers & the sports.
    Talk to u all, soon
  • Wow the signs of Christmas are all around us. I wont start decorating until after our Housekeeping Maid finishes cleaning up tomorrow. I have our Christmas cards written out and ready to mail. The stores have had Christmas trees etc; out since before Halloween. Gets earlier every year! In my new role as keeper of the "Employees Appreciation Fund" I may help giving out the Christmas bonuses to our hourly paid employees at a party next week. I look forward to doing so but I do not want to infringe on the outgoing manager of the funds until he actually turns it over to me. He takes a great deal of pride in handling the fund .Patsy, be careful decorating, especially if there is a ladder involvedSorry Jet fans, but I will be rooting very hard for the Giants on Sunday!!!!
  • Hi-Patsy-dont know what happened. i posted a full paragraph & only the last holiday greetings were posted. been pretty busy.  My son was here for Thanksgiving and we went to Siesta Key and Clearwater beaches and went on a boatride down to Key West..this week we had a family friend stay for 4 days and family coming is down the middle of Dec until past Christmas but I'm going to Chicago !for 8 days to see the kids & grandkids for Christmas  Hi Warren! Hope u and Carol are fine. If I cant get back on Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

A joyous Chanukkah to all.    

----

I'm watching you tube's live broadcast of Twiddle from the Brooklyn Bowl. They put on a great show last night and promised to put on an even better one tonight.

So far {knock wood} the season has been relatively mild for this usually cold region.  I'm hoping it will stay that way for a few weeks more.

Everyone have a fabulous weekend.
  • Hi all!!
    Anna have a great Christmas with family & a healthy & happy new year!!
    Weather here has been in the 50's the last couple of days.. I think this may be the calm before the storm..
    Hi Warren.
    Yes let's go Giants!!
    My oldest daughter & sil are Jets fans, the rest of us Giants fans..
    Some news from the home front here,
    My son Jason moved to Palm Beach,
    Fla. On Thursday..hope he likes it & stays..
    If he stays he will buy property down there. He's staying with family until he gets his own place..
    Everyone, have a nice day!!
    Enjoy!!
  • "Happy Chanukah" to our friends &
    Family..
  • We celebrated my grandsons 2nd birthday today. Great party at a really nice place. He had a ball!'
    Can't believe he's 2 yrs old already!!
    Hope everyone had a great weekend!
  • Whichever holiday you are celebrating, or will be celebrating soon, Happy, Happy, Happy.

Patsy, enjoy them while they are young! My youngest Grandchild Is 12. My how time flies.I remember distinctly  when the first two were born just 8 days apart. They are both out of College and working. Two currently in college, two in HS and one in Middle school. The old saying goes "Time waits for no man". (Or Woman).

• Hi Warren
    Yes I enjoy everyday with him.
    His parents are my tenants. Lol
    I'm blessed to see him everyday.
    I will miss him terribly when they move into their own home one day!!
    (God willing)..
    I wanted to tell you, I am reading murder house by Patterson.
    What a story!!
    I started it about 3 days ago & am
    Past the middle already.
    Good read!!
    Enjoy your night!!
  • Hi Everyone,

How is everyone?

Patsy...you grandson is so handsome.....Happy belated Birthday

Hello Warren, Anna & Prodigalson

Can't believe Christmas is upon us again.....very busy time of the year.

My grandson is getting so big, love him to death.

If I don't get on everyone have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!
  • Hey Judy, hello back at you. Yes, time flies. As I said in my previous message, the grandchildren grow so fast, before you know it they are adults.

Patsy, remember I said Murder house is full of twists & turns. The ending is spectacular as you will see shortly. I am on a wait list for Cross Justice.

I think you will agree when you get to it. 

• Hi guys
    Hi Warren
    I too am on waiting list for same book!!
    I loved murder house. Finished it 2 days ago..
    Hope Carol is well. Send my love.
    Hi Judy
    I received you Christmas card yesterday. Thank u so much. I just mailed some cards out the day before.
    I love your card with the family on it.. You & Bobby look fantastic. Salvatore is a doll. He's gotten so big!!
    Your boys are so handsome & Crystal is beautiful!!
    Have a great Christmas & healthy new year!! Xx
    Everyone, have a nice weekend!!
  • So good to see that everyone remains well.

Now that I'm retired I spend my time enjoying my two favorite hobbies:  sports & food. Cooked myself a very special chicken-rice-tomato paste soup (with plenty of leftovers) and attended a high school wrestling match in West St Paul.  High school wrestling remains a very popular sport here in Minnesota along with Iowa & Oklahoma. Before there was cable/satellite tv or internet, rural folks on Friday nights  sat around the radio and listened to broadcasts of scholastic wrestling.  I think it would surprise East Coast folks to know how little rural electrification existed in parts of the Upper Midwest until just a couple of decades ago. Thankfully, progress has been made.

I don't read Patterson but do enjoy Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series and have read at least 2 dozen of those works. 

Tomorrow is the annual Army-Navy game.  While the Middies are favored, one must not overlooked Army's determination to make it a battle.  I hope you get a chance to watch this special game and enjoy your weekend.
  • I only got to see the first half of the Army-Navy game and it looked like Army had a good chance to finally conquer Navy. Lo & behold when I came back from dinner the game was over and Navy won! Prodigal Son, when you finish the Nero Wolfe series, if you are still hankering for a good mystery-thriller, I strongly recommend Patterson's books. The "Cross" books are excellent and if you enjoy intrigue I am sure you will like them. Woods books about "Stone Barrington" are also excellent although if a lot of sex in reading is not your cup of tea, I would stick to Patterson & Wolfe. Another great writer is Jack Higgins. His WW2 stories are fantastic. Furthermore he writes about up to date doings all over the world.  

Good luck to the hapless Giants tomorrow night. Believe it or not they are still in the running for the playoffs!!!

• Hi Everyone, Thanks Patsy....got your card today Warren and Prodigalson ..love hearing your stories Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday spirit Talk to you soon
  • Hi guys Hi Richard Glad you're enjoying retirement!! Food & sports sounds like a win win to me.. Warren, i picked up cross justice today at the library. I was #144 on list. I shall start reading tonite.. Can't wait.. Better than tv. My son Jason as i told you in an earlier post is down in palm beach Fla. He's 1 hour from Miami & he & some friends are driving down as we speak to dolphin stadium to see giants vs Dolphins game tonite. Let's go Giants!! Everyone, enjoy your night!!
  • I posted last comment last night.. Went thru this morning. Was stuck in cyber world somewhere. Lol :)
  • Amazing! The Giants won with only Manning, Becham, Jennings &  St Pierre  the only players doing anything. Next week will be a real challenge. Carolina is tough. They are the only unbeaten team left in the NFL. and I do not think they cheat like the Patriots. Saw Coughlin get knocked on his BUM. Maybe it will help his decision making!
  • Hello good people!

I was reminded the other day that this is my 60th anniversary as a fan (a HUGE fan!) of pro wrestling.  The reason why I was reminded of this is because of a recent sport event that took place at the Barclay Center in God's Country:

It was on this month in 1955 that my dad bought us a tv with his limited savings - the first thing he turned to was pro wrestling (the old Capitol Wrestling promotion) as he was a big fan of Ed "Strangler" Lewis.  The tv shop was near the present Barclay Center.  Oh the memories pro wrestling has given me!!

A wonderful weekend to each & every one of you.  And,

Go Giants!
  • Prodigal Son. I hate to put a pin in your balloon but you do know that Pro Wrestling is an exhibition and not a competitive sport! It has always been fun to watch like Don Eagle and many other "Heroes" years ago but I never took it serious. Back in the early days of TV Pro Wrestling was one of the few things that were on so it garnered a lot of attention. A lot of it came from Chicago Hulk Hogan lives in my area and he was still wrestling at 62 until he had a falling out with WWF. He unfortunately has quite a record of bad publicity over the past few years.  
  • Hi guys Warren My son was at that game I think I mentioned it due to he lives 1 hr from Miami.. He was ecstatic with the win Very rainy here today. Temps have been in 60's Crazy! Doesn't feel like Christmas We're having Fla weather.. Have a great day!! :) If anyone sees this I can't pull up another box to post.. I hit post comment & it's stuck here, Warren do u see this post I posted above smiley face 3 days ago. My picture is not posting either. Administrator can u help? Thank u :)
  • edited December 2015
    Yay I'm back on!!  :smiley:
  • Have a great night Friends
  • Andrew, thanks again for your help' Merry Christmas & a safe & healthy new Year!!
  • Good morning, friends Only 2 more days til Christmas Eve! Going to go food shopping tonite for some last Minute items I need & I'm done.. gift shopping is done & I'm a happy little Elf.. Enjoy your day, & be happy!!
  • My grandson Gavin He just recently turned 2. The biggest joy of my life!! Xx
  • Hey, Gavin is "almost" as good looking as my grandchildren were at that age. Glad you are back on okay Patsy!
  • Hi Warren lol He is a doll!! Christmas will be that much better (God willing) Because of him. :)
  • I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas image
  • Hello All,

I wish all of you a merry Christmas. If my computer cooperates I will print my annual "Santa" story that I wrote a few years ago.

•  

A CHRISTMAS STORY

(To keep all lawyers happy I will admit that much of this story is adapted from different author’s writings. I especially pay homage to Matthew, Mark Luke & John who gave us the original.)

Little Johnny came to his father in early December and said ”Daddy, some of the boys in my class said Santa is make believe and a fake!” I told them that I would ask you and then I would know the truth. Well Daddy, what is the truth.

Son, first let me ask you if you enjoy giving gifts to people at Christmas time. Well yes Johnny said, I like the look in their eyes and the happiness in their face when they open them. I know I made someone happy. Son, the beginning of the Christmas story started in a stable over 2000 years ago. The baby Jesus was born and people came from far & wide to pay homage to him. Three kings came and brought gifts of Gold and  precious fragrances . Gift giving started way back then. Some time later people began giving gifts to each other to show their love and gratitude to others. In different countries the one in charge of the gift giving was called different names. There was St. Nicholas, Father Christmas and many others including Santa Claus.  Now Mommy & Daddy know that Santa has an awfully big task to get all the presents that people want all in one night, Christmas eve. So Mommies & Daddies all over the world pitch in and buy gifts and become Santa’s helpers.

It is easy to say, like your friends, no, there is no Santa. But the spirit of Christmas has prevailed for over those 2000 years since Jesus was born. I for one am not going to take the chance of saying that spirit does not exist because I want to wake up on  Christmas morning and find many of the gifts I hoped for!

• "Merry Christmas" everyone!! I hope Santa brings you what you want, :smile:
  • Prodigal Son. I hate to put a pin in your balloon but you do know that Pro Wrestling is an exhibition and not a competitive sport! It has always been fun to watch like Don Eagle and many other "Heroes" years ago but I never took it serious.  

What? Can't be!  We all know pro wrestling is God's sport - after all, it's the only one mentioned in the Old Testament {Genesis 32:24}.  In fact Jacob was blessed for doing so.     :)
  • "Merry Christmas" everyone!! I hope Santa brings you what you want, :smile:

I'm hoping Santa will send me a wealthy wife.    :)

-------

And a Wonderful Christmas to all there in God's Country!
  • Lol Richard Did you get the wealthy wife?? Have a great weekend :smiley:
  • Argh!  No wealthy wife.

Mebbe next year ....

Meanwhile, Happy Kwanzaa to all.    :)
  •   Hey prodigalson. I think your chances of finding a wealthy wife would be better in Brooklyn or in Florida! Down here in Florida the place is loaded with wealthy widows. They made sure their first hubbies left them plenty by not letting them spend the money on the toys they really wanted. Also their is no snow to shovel here, thus, people live longer. Pick an Independent Living Facility in an area you like and let nature take its course. There are about 7 women for each man living in them!
  • edited December 2015
    Patsy, My daughter sent me "Cross Justice" for Christmas. Took my name off the Library wait list and finished reading it yesterday. Fabulous! Different. Cross'whole family is in but NOT in DC. A second story runs through the book and is intertwined with the main story. Think you will love it.
  • Hi guys Warren I loved Cross Justice. Great read. Hi Richard, yes maybe next year. Lol Have a great night.
  • Warren What book follows cross justice I returned it to library & I think there Was a synopsis of next book after cross Justice story?
  • edited December 2015
    Patsy, The book they are touting is "Private Paris". I have to check my records but I could swear I read it already. If not I will keep my eye open for it on this end. I usually like the"Private" series except for the one about India. I gave up on that one and did not even finish it. l
  • Hi Warren Private Paris is not out yet It's on pre order if u buy it now. It comes out January 25th. I also love the private series. Thank u for the info. Have a great night. :)
  •   Hey prodigalson. I think your chances of finding a wealthy wife would be better in Brooklyn or in Florida! Down here in Florida the place is loaded with wealthy widows. They made sure their first hubbies left them plenty by not letting them spend the money on the toys they really wanted. Also their is no snow to shovel here, thus, people live longer. Pick an Independent Living Facility in an area you like and let nature take its course. There are about 7 women for each man living in them!

GREAT advice!

As for venturing there, I shall have to make that  my New Year's resolution.

And a Happy New Year to all!    :)
  • From my family to yours.. Have a healthy & safe new year!! :)
  • From Florida to all you Bloggers on Brooklynian and that includes the Administrators, Happy, Happy New Year. I pray it will bring good health and prosperity to all of you Good health is the most important. Without it all the money in the world means NOTHING!

• And a wonderful 2016 to you and yours!
  • Happy New Year Everyone......have a wonderful 2016!!!! image
  • Good morning! Hope everyone had a great New Year.. Enjoy your day!! :)
  • I've been trying to get on since this morning Dont know what I did to get on now? If I don't have save draft option which doesn't always come up I can't get on?? :neutral:
  • Patsy, I wish I could help but I am still getting on through an A-backward way! This has been since the last update to the blog.
  • Thanx Warren So far, so good.. If I don't get on I will let u know., It's finally freezing here..23degrees. The winter has finally arrived!! :neutral:
  • Welcome to the club. We dropped to 49 this am from 76 yesterday!
  • I cannot in good conscious say I am sorry to see Tom Coughlin retire. Now they should fire the GM who let all those good players spread around the League get away from the Giants. They must get a good running back and some new BIG offensive linemen. Somehow they must get back to the Parcells way of thinking football.
  • Hey Administrators. Patsy Meile Kirk is having a rough time getting her messages on here. How about giving her a hand!!!!!