This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread - Page 23 — Brooklynian

Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread

Comments

• 16 days until Christmas.....

• Why does time move so fast? I can't believe it's 16 days until Christmas!!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Anna....it must be exhausting working 6 days a week...hope you rest up when you can.

Patsy.....did you go to St Anslem's Christmas Village? I may stop there today.

Judy...you must be excited for Salvatore's first Christmas :-)

Warren...Owning a home is so much more responsibility then I would have imagined!! Especially having a two family, it seems we fix upstairs more than we do in our own place lol

Hello to all of you that haven't been here in a while....we miss you!!!

• Hi Everyone, Choir sang a beutiful Chtistmas Cantata this morning.The pops concert the other night in our Clubhouse was great. 30 piece orchestra and the Wilson Family singers made it a memorible concert.

I do not know what year this occured but anyways... I came out of Choir practice at 12th Street Church on a Tuesday night in December. It had snowed some,just enough to be pretty but not messy or dangerous. As I approached 5th Avenue I heard the speaker from the record store belting out Christmas songs on the Avenue. When I reached 5th ave I could smell the Pine trees which were up for sale on the corner. The Lights on the Avenue were beautiful. Mostly red & green. Shoppers were busy bustling about before the stores would close for the night. It really sent chills up and down my spine. In those days people in the neigborhood did not have a lot of money or worldly goods but the spirit of Christmas was all over the place. On the way up the block I could still hear the music, the snow crunched under my shoes and I felt like I was walking on air. Remember when buying a gift for someone you cared for gave you a wonderful feeling though it only cost a couple of dollars? They advertise cars for a Christmas present nowadays. I was thrilled when I got a shirt & tie!!! People met each other on the street and wished each other MERRY CHRISTMAS, not just Happy Holidays. Parents were busy either shopping or trying to find hiding places where the children could not find them before they went under the tree. I am sure some of that spirit lives today and that people are greatful as we were to have family and be able to exchange gifts regardless of the cost. :santa:

• Hi Everyone,

Yes Deb, I am so excited for Salvatore's first Christmas....this year is so bittersweet. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to decorate but I had to do it for my Grandson....and my own kids too (they are never to old to decorate the house). I swear he is like a gift from my Mom...he is just making everything a little easier to deal with....He went to see Santa today...He loved him!!! LOL

Attached files image
  • GOOD MORNING, FRIENDS :)

JUDY..WHAT A GREAT PICTURE. I HAVE MY 3 KIDS 1ST XMAS PIC W/SANTA IN FRAMES ON THE TREE. THEY ARE MY MOST FAVORITE

ORNAMENTS. LOOK AT SALVATORE SMILING. NOT AN INCH OF FEAR

SITTING W/SANTA. HE'S A SMART ONE. HE KNOWS WHO TO SMILE AT!!! SUCH A DOLL..

HI DEB.. I WENT TO 86TH ST W/MY DAUGHTERS & FINISHED UP.

SOME STOCKING STUFFERS LET & I'M DONE!! CALL YOU, SOON.

WARREN. I AGREE. THERE IS STILL SOME SPIRIT LEFT FOR THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY!! NOT AS MUCH, AS BACK IN THE DAY, DUE

TO LIFE BEING A LITTLE MORE STRESSFUL FOR LOTS OF PEOPLE.

HOPEFULLY, CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR WILL HELP SOOTHE.

ANNA. YOU'RE A BUSY ONE.. ENJOY, BUT RELAX A LITTLE, TOO.

EVERYONE.. HAVE A GREAT DAY!! :santa:

• 15 days until Christmas.............

• Where the heck is everyone!!!!

TERRY, SUZIE, JOEY, ANTHONY,JEANETTE!!!!!!and everyone else...

• Judy that picture is priceless <3 He is definitely a gift xoxo

Patsy I owe you a phone call....

• Judy I was just thinking that....where the hell is Big Mama!!! and everyone else!!!

• I hate to repeat myself folks but I will. A lot of our "regular" bloggers have deserted us for Facebook. Again I say that is their perrogative. However, when we were all showing concern on here for people during Sandy, the least some of them could have done was to come on here to let us know if they were all right. I have been informed that some of them went on Facebook and did just that. That is the reason I went off the blog for a week to gather my thoughts without coming on here and naming names and hurting feelings.

Do any of you remember a great Movie called "And Then There Were None". It was based on a best selling book. :santa:

• 14 days until Christmas....

HI WARREN.. I HEARD OF THAT MOVIE, BUT I NEVER GOT

TO SEE IT!! I WILL KEEP IT IN MIND.

HI JUDY.. THANX FOR THE COUNTDOWN.

EVERYONE.. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :santa:

• Good morning....

Pretty chilly out today...stay warm!!

• Hello-just finished wrapping some gifts..Judy-love those beautiful Christmas graphics..hi Warren, Patsy and Debbie..looks like we are the only ones on here lately..I've been wondering for awhile now, why no one is coming on here..and Warren, you're right..someone could have come on & told us they were ok after Sandy..oh well, sometimes you just have to let things go...with that, I'll say goodnight...talk to u soon....bye

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY!! :santa:

• Good morning.....

Is everyone done decorating? I have a few things to put on the tree and I'm done!!

Have a good day all.....

• Decorations inside & outside are finished! Tree in Great room was the last thing. I leave decorating that to Carol & she does a great job. I have not started wrapping Carol's gifts yet. Gifts to Children & Grandchildren were mailed on Monday. Orange packages we send to our kids have started to arrive. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas is coming. Christmas Party tonight, prime rib dinner at the clubhouse Friday, open house with a neighbor on Sunday (After the Giant game of course) and we are having a few couples over on thursday 12/20 for coffee & cake. We used to have a big party with all kinds of hor's Derves and cakes & such. Now it is just 3 other couples and just coffee & cake... :santa:

Some memories of Christmas time in the slope. Snow on the streets, lots of lights & music on 5th Avenue, Germains all lit up & Decorated, Christmas movies in the Prospect, Sanders, Globe, Avon & 16th Street Theaters. Shop keepers happy about there registers going ca-ching-ka-ching, the smell of Pine Trees, lots of smiles and looks of anticipation especially on Children's faces. I will never forget growing up on 12th Street and all that went with living in the Slope. :bounce: :santa: :rendeer:

• 13 days until Christmas......

• HI GUYS..

DEB.. I HAVE BEEN FINISHED SINCE FRIDAY AFTER

THANKSGIVING, INSIDE & OUT, LOL

SHOPPING IS JUST ABOUT DONE TOO. I JUST HAVE A LITTLE

MORE FOOD SHOPPING FOR THE EVE TO DO. (WHEW).. :santa:

HI WARREN.. SOUNDS LIKE YOU & CAROL HAVE IT ALL UNDER

CONTROL..

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT DAY!!

ENJOY!! :santa:

• 12 days until Christmas..............

• Good Morning,

How is everyone...not doing too good...I just cannot get myself motivated...I have so much to do and don't feel like doing anything!!!! Hope I get out of this mood....sorry to be such a downer.

Have a great day...

• Hello All,

This message is for anyone who is feeling down & out but I especially ask Judy that she read it. A litle backround first. In the last approximately 3 years I have lost 2 brothers and my sister. One of my brothers was ordained to the ministry late in life. He became a Chaplin for at least 2 organizations that I know of. During his visitations with people in need of comforting he would leave a business card with them. On the card it says the following:

"Good Morning. This is GOD. I will be handling all of your problems today. I won't need any of your help! Have a good day. I love you."

He (my brother) was not trying to be GOD but just wanted to spread the word in his capacity as Chaplin. He continued to visit people in need until he was admitted to a nursing home for his final days. He could no longer stand up or walk across the room but his spirits were high and he was a true believer in what the card he distributed said on it. If it brings you any comfort just remember Ernest D. Carson who was my brother & friend. [-oB

• Hi Warren, Thank you for the words of encouragement....I guess this being the first Christmas without my mom is really getting to me as Christmas approaches..,.I know I have so much to be thankful for, my kids, my new grandson and my husband, but it is hard to get some spirit in me....I guess also with the storms we had and all we lost so much time that Christmas is coming too fast and I have so much to do....Hopefully each day I will remember your brothers words and it will help me get through it....thanks so much for caring enough to tell me about your brother, he seemed like a wonderful and caring person....

Goodnight!!

T.G.I.F.!!!

WARREN..A WONDERFUL STORY..

JUDY, I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER.

I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE W/O LOVED ONES ON THESE

SPECIAL OCCASIONS.

YOU HAVE THAT BEAUTIFUL GRANDSON..GOD BLESS & ENJOY!!

:santa:

EVERYONE..HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!

:santa:

• 11 days until Christmas............

• Hi all....

Judy...the first of everything is always the hardest :-( do the best you can and don't push yourself. We lost my dad on Dec 18 and til this day, 20 years later, Christmas is not the same, although anytime we lose a loved one the holidays aren't the same. Hang tough girl xoxo

Patsy....I was on 86th today and, of course, I always look for you in TJ Maxx lol

Warren....we should all remember that saying, it will help us get through the day.

I'm sure everyone has heard about that terrible shooting in CT...God bless those families.

• Hi-so glad it's the weekend..meeting Jessica tomorrow for breakfast & Christmas shopping..going to watch Justin overnight tomorrow then drop Cody off for his "spa" day on Sunday morning..Judy-stay strong..this time of year can be overwhelming..take the time to relax, enjoy your new grandson and family..sad day today for the families in that Connecticut shooting..God bless them....good night..

• 10 days until Christmas........

• Good morning.....

Anna....have fun shopping :-) I'm hoping to wrap what's left today and get out my cards. My girls wrapped most of the presents for me :-)

Judy....Happy Birthday to Crystal!!!!

Patsy and Warren have a great weekend!!