Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread (Continued) - Page 12 — Brooklynian

Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread (Continued)

Comments

• ....LIFE IS SO PRECIOUS....AND ONE'S LIFETIME GOES BY IN A BLINK OF AN EYE....WE ALL HAVE LOST LOVEONES AND REMEMBER THEM AND MISS THEM DEARLY....WE ALL CARRY OUR SHARE OF BURDENS, WE ALL HAVE DEALT WITH HARDSHIPS, SADDNESS AND HEARTBREAK.....BUT, WE ALSO ALL HAD THE JOY OF GROWING UP WITH LOVE, HAPPINESS, AND LOTS OF GOOD MEMORIES...BE IT WITH FAMILY OR EXTENDED FAMILY AND FRIENDS....SOME OF US ARE STILL FORTUNATE TO STILL HAVE A MOM AND/OR DAD STILL WITH US...AND SOME OF US HAVE LOST THEM WHEN WE WERE YOUNG AND NEVER REALLY GOT TO KNOW THEM.

...POINT BEING....

HOLD WHAT IS SO PRECIOUS TO US ALL, CLOSE AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM EVERY CHANCE YOU GET...FAMILY OR FRIENDS, SONS OR DAUGHTERS, YOUNG OR OLD.... THE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE ARE YOUR LIFE...THE BEST 4 LETTER WORD IN THE WORLD IS... L-O-V-E....DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY IT OR USE IT....I SAY IT ALL THE TIME TO EVERYONE IN MY LIFE..MY WIFE, MY CHILDREN, AND MY BANDMATES, AND ALL MY FRIENDS....AND I SAY IT TO YOU ALL WHO SPEAK TO ME HERE ON THIS BLOG AND THOSE WHO READ IT IN THE BACKGROUND... LIFE IS LIFELESS WITHOUT LOVE

• GOOD MORNING, FREINDS :)

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN HEAVEN, POP PINTO." [-oB [-oB

JOEBROOXX, DID YOU NEED TO MAKE ME CRY THIS EARLY IN THE morning. ??. NO MATTER, HOW MANY TIMES YOU HAVE TOLD ME THIS STORY, IT ALWAYS TOUCHES MY HEART. THE LORD JUST NEEDED

1 MORE ANGEL THAT DAY, & HE CHOSE YOUR DAD.

I WILL TALK TO YOU, SOON.. XXOO

HI DONNA.. GLAD YOU CALLED ME ON THE PHONE & TOLD ME

ABOUT JENNA BEFORE I READ IT ON HERE. I HOPE THAT

BABY GIRL IS FEELING BETTER EACH DAY.GIVE HER KISSES

FOR ME & OF COURSE, HANDSOME JUSTIN. SEND MY LOVE & WILL TALK TO YOU AGAIN, SOON. LOVE YOU..XX

HI CUZ.. WOW!! I REMEMBER WHEN YOU POSTED THE PICTURE OF MIA WITH THE DRUM PINTO GAVE HER.. SHE HAS GROWN SO FAST!!

EVERYONE..HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! XX :)

• Patsy....No Crying....No Sadness....

It's About Celebrating Life And Our Love Ones...

...XOXOXO

• Hi-just back from NJ..thank u all for your warm messages..my SIL taught in the Lakewood & Jackson school system for 30 years..she belonged to various clubs thru the years (she was active with volunteering also). she was laid out in D'Elia on Rt.70, Lakewood Monday night..yesterday after the church service, she was cremated..brunch was at Eagle Ridge Country Club..then went to see my parents at St.Mary's Cemetery (off Rt.9)..Terry-thanks for the laugh (Italian Mom).I needed that. I stayed over in Bensonhurst last night & went to LAG today.Back to work tomorrow..bye

• Anna so sorry you had to go through that, but it was nice you were there for your brother...My father in law is buried in St. Mary's cemetry....

Have a good night all!!

• joe pinto

your letter to your dad is heartwarming..we never met but its obvious that you are a man with loving feelings and those who call you friend are fortunate.

stay well ...stay happy

• jerry lagreca said:

joe pinto

your letter to your dad is heartwarming..we never met but its obvious that you are a man with loving feelings and those who call you friend are fortunate.

stay well ...stay happy

Jerry, I am Honored that you feel that way....We will meet someday...I'l have TERRY make it happen.....

• GOOD MORNING, FRIENDS :)

HI ANNA..NICE TO SEE YOU ON HERE!!

HI JERRY..& JOEBROOXX..

JOEBROOXX. SEND MY LOVE TO STACY & THE KIDS..XX

JERRY, MAYBE YOU CAN MAKE THE NEXT REUINON.??.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU AS WOULD SO MANY OTHERS ON HERE.

LOVE TO YOUR FAMILY..XX

EVERYONE.. HAVE A GREAT DAY & C U ALL, LATER.. :)

• Sent a message a couple of minutes ago but I do not know where it went!

I am in a bit of a crummy mood this AM so I do not want to rain on the Blog parade. I will just say good maorning all and have a great day... :roll:

• Hey, I did not mean to chase everyone away because I said I was in a crummy mood. That was 5 hours ago and no one has posted since. Okay, my mood has improved slightly. Come on back. :flower:

• HI WARREN.. I WAS BUSY AT WORK.. I'M NOT AFRAID

OF YOUR CRUMMY MOODS.. LOL

HOPE YOUR MOOD IS A LITTLE BETTER BY NOW.

I DON'T EVER PICTURE YOU IN A CRUMMY MOOD, UNLESS

YOU'RE NOT FEELING WELL, & I DO HOPE

THATS NOT

THE CASE..

TALK TO YOU, SOON.. :-)

EVERYONE.. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.. :)

• imageimage

.....GARY CARTER.....R I P

• GOOD MORNING, FREINDS :)

OMG, NOW GARY CARTER.. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MET EVER.

I STILL HAVE MY GARY CARTER T SHIRT FROM THE 80'S

(OF COURSE, IT'S TOO TIGHT TO WEAR THESE DAYS,,)

LOL, BUT I ADORED HIM.. MAY HE R.I.P. [-oB

MY SON JASON SAID TO ME LAST NIGHT, "MOM, WITHIN

1 WEEK YOU LOST 2 OF YOUR FAVORITE ALL TIME HEROES."

(WHITNEY & GARY).. I FEEL LIKE I LOST CLOSE FAMILY

MEMBERS. MAY THEY FIND PEACE & SOLACE IN THE

FOREVER AFTER. XX

EVEERYONE, HAVE A GREAT DAY & C U ALL, LATER.. :)

• Good Morning Everyone!

Wow Gary Carter..he is probably the one person that I knew his name and what team he actually played on....!!! He was my favorite always smiling!!!! RIP

I wish the sun would come out....

Have a great day

• Anna Famoso said:

Hi-just back from NJ..thank u all for your warm messages..my SIL taught in the Lakewood & Jackson school system for 30 years..she belonged to various clubs thru the years (she was active with volunteering also). she was laid out in D'Elia on Rt.70, Lakewood Monday night..yesterday after the church service, she was cremated..brunch was at Eagle Ridge Country Club..then went to see my parents at St.Mary's Cemetery (off Rt.9)..Terry-thanks for the laugh (Italian Mom).I needed that. I stayed over in Bensonhurst last night & went to LAG today.Back to work tomorrow..bye ANNA I CAN NOT REMEMBER IF I SAID I WAS SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.. (senior moment) I hope God gives everyone the strength to cope with this passing. In my prayers..Love Terry

• donna reitz tanzillo said:

Hi Terry

Its been a little crazy here. My granddaughter fell off the monkey bars and dis-located her elbow and broke her wrist. She is now in a cast for 6 weeks.

As for the reunion we are in. I will be happy to help you with anything you need. Just call me.

We'll talk soon. LOVE..............

DONNA, OMG I am so soy I will try to call you

• JOE PINTO said:

....LIFE IS SO PRECIOUS....AND ONE'S LIFETIME GOES BY IN A BLINK OF AN EYE....WE ALL HAVE LOST LOVEONES AND REMEMBER THEM AND MISS THEM DEARLY....WE ALL CARRY OUR SHARE OF BURDENS, WE ALL HAVE DEALT WITH HARDSHIPS, SADDNESS AND HEARTBREAK.....BUT, WE ALSO ALL HAD THE JOY OF GROWING UP WITH LOVE, HAPPINESS, AND LOTS OF GOOD MEMORIES...BE IT WITH FAMILY OR EXTENDED FAMILY AND FRIENDS....SOME OF US ARE STILL FORTUNATE TO STILL HAVE A MOM AND/OR DAD STILL WITH US...AND SOME OF US HAVE LOST THEM WHEN WE WERE YOUNG AND NEVER REALLY GOT TO KNOW THEM.

...POINT BEING....

HOLD WHAT IS SO PRECIOUS TO US ALL, CLOSE AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM EVERY CHANCE YOU GET...FAMILY OR FRIENDS, SONS OR DAUGHTERS, YOUNG OR OLD.... THE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE ARE YOUR LIFE...THE BEST 4 LETTER WORD IN THE WORLD IS... L-O-V-E....DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY IT OR USE IT....I SAY IT ALL THE TIME TO EVERYONE IN MY LIFE..MY WIFE, MY CHILDREN, AND MY BANDMATES, AND ALL MY FRIENDS....AND I SAY IT TO YOU ALL WHO SPEAK TO ME HERE ON THIS BLOG AND THOSE WHO READ IT IN THE BACKGROUND... LIFE IS LIFELESS WITHOUT LOVE

You made me cry reading both post. I mhiss my parents so much.I had nothing as far as material tings. We struggled through the years like most of us growing up in south bklyn. BUT..... we had everything. Love of family and friends. Just like all of us. I feel like we are family and some of us have never met. I feel like I have known Warren all my life. (by the way who cares if you feel crummy I DO and you must come here even on those days. You have been keeping this going while I am not...lol

I have been feeling crummy these past few days. Must go get blood work done. SPOKE TO ANTHONY,HE IS FINE. He always calls, so thats a good thing. I am bad with calling. Thank God for Umbria and Patsy for always calling me. I am sooooo bad with calling..

• Hello All,

I was in Shea Stadium when the announcement went on the big board in center field saying that Gary Carter had been acquired from Montreal. The place went crazy with cheering. He never let the fans down either with his ball playing, attitude or personal life. Some of the prima donnas we have in sports now should study Carter,s life and learn how to be a star on and off the field. Please God, use him on your team!!!

My parents died much too young. Mother 51, Father 54. We have people here in Sun City Center that are 105 which would be my Mother & Fathers ages put together. Terry you are right on the money when you say that we had to struggle growing up & did not have a lot of material things but I challenge anyone to find the love that was between family members, neighbors & acquantences. On my way home from my part time job in the Palace Meat Market across from Germains, I would stop on pay day evening (Saturday) in one of the "Junk" Stores on 5th Ave and buy my Mother a dollar thing. It could be a statuette,a key ring whatever and even though it was so little my Mother was thrilled.(I also gave her 1/2 my paycheck) When I wanted a bike my Father could not afford a new one, but he bought me a used one and fixed it up for me. If you had given me a new Cadillac it could not mean as much as that bike did. I am very happy that our kids have it somewhat easier today then we did but I think we instilled the value of love & friendship in them and you can not put a price on that. =DB

• Warren.Wow what you wrote .

I posted on facebook on Valnetines Day that I had a wonderful memory from years ago.

My brother Carl worked in the candy store on 5th avenue and 20th street. ( Jack's and years ago Hymies(spell) He would buy me and my two sisters a box of chocolate every year and he was young.My Mom and Dad raised him well. He makes a great husband these days and I say that is from the way he grew up.

Warren,

That was so sweet buying your Mom something and how she would appreciate it.

Today is different with the kids now in their 20's and 30's. The get so much and I think it is our fault. We give because we did not have and we want them to be happy. Even though my kids got more than me they still have a good heart and they are thoughtful.(Thank the Lord)

See ya later. Pushing myself to go to the gym and do Zumba. Maybe I will feel better...

• HEYYYYYYYYYYY YOU GUYSSSSSSSS

STOP WITH THIS I FEEL CRUMMY SHIT

LOOK AT WHAT YOU GOT

FAMILY FRIENDS LOVE AND THE BLOG

WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT

EVERY DAY YOU GET UP AND KISS THE GROUND YOU WALK ON FOR WHAT WE HAVE WE ARE RICHER THEN THE RICHEST MAN ON EARTH

SO WHAT HE LIVES IN A CASSLE I LIVE IN THE BEST HOUSE FOR ME ITS MADE OF LOVE

OK THATS IT FOR MY BULL SHITING

REMEMBER THE BLOG

LONG MAY SHE LIVE LOL

• HE IS BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK THE PAIN IN THE ASS UMBRIA [i] LOL

• Hey Anthony,

Good to see you on here. Only one thing. When I am in a crummy mood, I just tell people so they will understand why I am not my usual bubbly self. Come on more often will you. If Terry had not kept us up to date on you I would have figured either you were having more problems or you jumped to Facebook and forgot us... :?

• HI WARREN

FORGET YOU GUYS NO WAY IN HELL

HOWS THE WIFE DOING BETTER I HOPE AND YOU PAL GET WITH IT AND GET BETTER YOUR STORYS ARE THE BEST ON HERE SO GET BETTER AND TELL US MORE

• MY OTHER MOM ROSE

HOW YOU DOING MOM MISS TALKING WITH YOU ON HERE

CANT WAIT TO SEE YA AT THE NEXT REUNION THIS TIME I WILL BE ABLE TO SEE YOU

• Good Night /sweet /dreams

• thank you anthony,i'm so happy to hear your seeing better .i wish i could say the same.i'm trying very hard to with walk ,other wise you and i will have to get twin wheel chairs.any way i keep my spirt up [like you]i would glad to see you at the reuion god willing god bless you and family

• Good Morning Rosie and All,

Beautiful day out. Went to the gym and took a class and did the bike for 33 minutes. Trying to work off the 16 oz pot of gold candy I ate. LOL

Beautiful weather today. Can not believe it is February and my flowers are growing. The plants and the birds are so confused. lol

Have a wonderful day..

• Hello All,

Carol feeling halfway decent today. Trouble is she of course does not know how long it will last. She might start with pains or diarreha or both at any time. The problem is not knowing. We are sort of house bound and that is one of the things that gets me down sometimes. I like to be on the go but Carol is too uncomfortable except for short trips here in town and an occasional trip up to Brandon Mall. The new pills the Doctor ordered seem to be helping some. My nerves are beginning to jump as I will be having my Cystoscopy on Thursday along with the results of my PSA test. Either test can show real problems or better times for me for 6 months. If you have never had a Cystoscopy just picture, men or women, having a long tube with a camera affixed run from, well you figure it, into your bladder. First they fill your bladder with clear liquid so the Urologist can scan all the walls of your bladder for tumors. Twice before they found tumors and I had to go into surgery to remove them and cauterize the spots where they were scraped out. This last year all the tests have been negative and I am hoping for the same this time.

A cute memory popped into my mind today. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, we had good friends that used to take me places sometimes. The man that took me was a fireman. In the old days City employees rode the transit system free and so did kids that fit under the turnstile. Jack and I would get on the trolley, he would show his I.D and I would scoot under the turnstile and we both rode free. Don't ask me why that popped into my mind today, it just did. :scratch:

• Warren, I will add you to my catholic prayer list. I will send some positive vibes your way and everything will be fine.

What a great memory that was...

You really should write a book. You have such great stories.

It can be called...Memories of the Slope...lol or Growing up in the slope..

Have a good night.

Good Night All...Sweet Dreams

• HI GUYS;..:)

HOPE EVRYONE IS WELL..

WENT TO CHURCH THIS MORNING WITH MY GODAUGHTER TRICIA

(LASALLE) & HER DAUGHTER ARIANA, WHO I WILL BE CONFIRMATION GODMOTHER FOR IN MAY.. WE JUST GOT BACK,

B/C AFTER CHUECH WE HAD A BRUNCH TOGETHER & I AM NOW

MAKING A SMALL POT OF GRAVY FOR DINNER & I WILL BE HELPING

TRICIA MOVE SOME BOXES INOT HER NEW APT. LATER ON.

( 4 DOORS DOWN

FROM MY HOME).. SO I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY & I

WILL CATCH UP TOMORROW....XX :)

• Hi everyone-had the stomach flu since I got back from N.J...always something right? But feeling better today..off tomorrow..hope to go to the mall tomorrow with Jessica if I feel better. Macy's having a great coat sale..beautiful out today..hope it lasts until the end of the winter..LOL.. looking forward to watching "Celebrity Apprentice" tonight..Jessica watching Justin today (don't want to get him sick so I had to decline the invitation) hope everyone enjoys their weekend..talk to u soon...bye...

• Hi All,

Have a great day...

• Hello All,

Terry, thanks for the prayers and vibes. I will think about them when the Doctor invades my most personal innards on Thursday.

Church was pretty crowded this AM. Of course the snow birds expand the congregation in the winter. I will however be glad when they are gone. Less traffic, less crowded everywhere.

Another childhood memory popped up. Do you remember when the ladies would wear fur pieces in the winter around their necks. One women had a piece with Fox heads on either end. I would not touch them because I was afraid they would bite me! Also, ALL WOMEN wore a hat to church. Would not be seen without one. Some of them were outlandish and others quite plain. Most of them also wore dress gloves. I can remember the Catholic girls putting neckercheifs or bandannas on their heads to go to mass.Young girls did not have real hats and they had to cover their heads.It is amazing how styles and custome have changed. :bounce:

• I don't get it. Sent an entry in yesterday. It never showed up and yet the index shows it was the last entry yesterday. I guess mine is in cyberspace.

I had thanked Terry for her prayers and vibes about my Cystoscope on Thursday and I put in a little antedote about the old days. I will save that for another entry unless yesterday's miraculously shows up. :?:

• I saw your post on my page, my email.I see it above your last post. Posted 21 hours ago...It is there I will copy and paste..

here it is....it is above your last post

Hello All,

Terry, thanks for the prayers and vibes. I will think about them when the Doctor invades my most personal innards on Thursday.

Church was pretty crowded this AM. Of course the snow birds expand the congregation in the winter. I will however be glad when they are gone. Less traffic, less crowded everywhere.

Another childhood memory popped up. Do you remember when the ladies would wear fur pieces in the winter around their necks. One women had a piece with Fox heads on either end. I would not touch them because I was afraid they would bite me! Also, ALL WOMEN wore a hat to church. Would not be seen without one. Some of them were outlandish and others quite plain. Most of them also wore dress gloves. I can remember the Catholic girls putting neckercheifs or bandannas on their heads to go to mass.Young girls did not have real hats and they had to cover their heads.It is amazing how styles and custome have changed.

• Warren, I was one of those girls Warren with the round netting on my head or a tissue. never wore pants to church. Now they go to church with shorts on and they say Juicy on their rear ends. lol

• I posted your name 2 x Warren. lol

• Thanks to those who sent me my missing message. It finally showed up on page 45 this AM on my computer. I checked several times yesterday and page 45 was not even available yet!!! On top of that, when I saw it this AM I sent a message saying "Oh, there it is".That never made it at all!!! Oh well, it is not the end of the world [-X

HI WARREN.. HOPE YOU & CAROL ARE FEELIN BETTER.. WE WILL SAY

EXTRA RAYERS ON THURSDAY OR YOU.. ENJOY YOUR DAY!!

HI CUZ. TALK TO YOU SOON & WILL SE YOU ON FRIDAY XX :)

HI ANNA.. HOPE YOU FELL BETTER.. I WATCH THE APPRENTICE, TOO..THIS IS GOING TO BE SOME SEASON. ALOT OF HOT TEMPERED WOMEN, I THINK. CLAY AIKEN MY FAVORITE ALL TIME AMERICAN IDOL IS IN THERE.. I JUST LOVE HIM.. SUCH A GENTLEMAN. :)

EVERYONE.. ENJOY YOUR DAY & C U ALL, LATER.. :)

• Good Morning,

Warren - Prayers are sent your way for Thursdays's procedure...Hope Carol is feeling better.

Anna - Hope you are feeling better.

Hi to all....Have a great day.

• Thanks to Patsy, Judy and Terry and anyone else praying for my Cystoscopy & PSA results on Thursday. As you can well understand, I am quite apprehensive about the tests. Especially the Cystoscopy because of the way it has to be performed. The closest thing to an anethstetic is a little cream that is injected where the tube will go. Of course the anethstetic only goes in a little ways and only lasts a very short time. If the results of both tests are favorable, then I can go back to worrying about my heart.

Another wacky memory from my childhood. I had a friend named Fonzie. He was part of a family I played with a lot when I was young. He had a younger brother, two older brothers and a sister. One day he managed to break a milk bottle and cut his wrist pretty bad. His parents were not home, (Both working) so we (myself and a couple of other friends) walked Fonzie from 12th Street between 5th & 6th Aves up to Methodist Hospital Emergemcy room. On the way there, if we met someone we knew Fonzie would say "Look at this" and he would squeeze his arm and the blood would shoot up about a foot or more. Fortuneatly we got him to the emergenct room on time and he came out just fine. I am glad I was not the only nut on the block!!! ](*,)

• Hi quick typeby-woke up to a wet snow on the ground today..thanks Patsy & Judy-feeling much better. Jessica & I went to the mall yesterday...Warren-good luck on your test...love your stories-brings back great memories..I. too, used to wear those netted hats to church on Sundays...LOL..things sure have changed..well, have to get back to work..(Patsy-this is gonna be some season for Apprentice this year!!!)......bye

• Hello Folks......

WEATHER IS NICE OUT.. HIGH 50'S .. NOT BAD..

FOR ALL YOU WHO REMEMBER SANDRA FROM 'HAIR FAIR', SHE

PASSED AWAY LAST WEEK. I JUST FOUND OUT AFTER THE FACT, B/C MY HUSBAND STILL GOES TO ALBERT'S FOR HIS HAIRCUT. "I'VE BEEN GOING TO ALBERT FOR OVER 30 YRS, NOT CHANGING TO ANYONE NEW". IS WHAT HE SAYS WHEN I TELL

HIM THER ARE OTHER PLACES CLOSER TO HOME TO GET A HAIRCUT.. "I DON'T TRUST ANYONE ELSE WITH MY HAIR"..(QUOTE, UNQUOTE). I FIGURE IN ANOTHER FEW YEARS, HE'LL BE GOING BALD ANYWAY. LOL

R.I.P. SANDRA.. [-oB

EVERYONE.. ENJOY YOUR DAY!!! :)

• Good Morning Everyone-Patsy-you made me laugh so hard..thanks...Jessica had her first fitting for the wedding last night..I have to go tomorrow night for my gown..time is really going fast now..well, have to get back to work...have a nice day everyone.....bye

• HI ANNA..

GLAD I GAVE YOU A GOOD LAUGH.. I LAUGH, TOO EVERYTIME

HE GOES FOR A HAIRCUT BACK IN THE OLD HOOD.

HOW EXCITING.. GOWN FITTINGS. ENJOY & HAVE FUN

WITH IT.. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :)

• Patsy - I have to ask my girlfriend Debbie, she used to work in Hair Fair many many years ago....so sad...

Anna - It must be so exciting to see your daughter in her wedding gown.....and to get your dress, that must be so exciting....

So warm out today...boy what a February we are having, can't complain.

Have a great day!!!!

• It was a quiet morning in Park Slope in about 1944. All of a sudden the sky was blackened with planes. They were B-17s or B-25's. They were probably headed to England to get ready for D-Day. Many things happened in Brooklyn during the war. You were not allowed to bring cameras on the East River bridges. The authorities posted "NO CAMERAS, NO PICTURE TAKING FROM THE BRIDGE". With the right lens you could see right into the Brooklyn Navy Yard from the bridges. They did not want the enemy to know when ships were repaired, what was being built etc:. My Uncle worked in the Navy Yard and securty was strict. They had big signs up that said "LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS". If you were lucky, once in a while you could see one of the Queens (Mary or Elizabeth) heading out of the Harbor. Another Uncle sailed on the Queen Mary over to England with the troops and back with the wounded. They were constantly hunted by German U-Boats but they were fast enough to outrun them after planes cleared the way out of Southampton into the Atlantic. The Wolf pack as the U-Boats were called were frustrated that they could not sink either of the Queens. The Anti-Aircraft Battery stationed in Prospect Park was up on Lookout Mountain. The enemy could not spot them but the Park Slope girls sure did! I stil have my Food Ration Stamp Book. Each member of the family was issued one. Scrap metal drives, Air Raid Drills etc:. It was a different time for America and very much so for Park Slope and all of Brooklyn. :salut:

• OMG Patsy was Sandra Spanish I can't remember her. I always got my hair cut there years ago and Michael when he was small.

WARREN

Will be praying for you now and tomorrow. Angels all around you... AND I love your stories

Good Night sweet Dreams

Going to another talk show tomorrow. i think Bill cunningham??? Have a great night.

AMERICAN IDOL

Patsy Apprentice was really good. I don't usually watch it every season. I think they are afraid to get rid of Victoria Gotti lol

WARREN.. PRAYING FOR YOU TODAY. HOPE IT'S ALL GOOD NEWS.

[-oB (BTW, LOVE THE STORY ABOVE).XX

HI CUZ.. YES, SANDRA WAS ON THE PLUS SIZE & SPANISH.

GREAT WITH HAIR..HAVE FUN AT THE TALK SHOW, & SEE

YOU TOMORROW NIGHT!!!

HI JUDY!!! HOPE ALL IS WELL & CRYSTAL IS FEELING GOOD..

XX

WEATHER IS BEAUTIFUL OUT TODAY!! ENJOY!!!! :)

• Thanks for all the good wishes. I will be leaving for the Dr's office right after I sign off. I am NOT looking forward to today's tests but who knows. I could come home very relieved or miserable. Let you know which later. Carol is feeling lousy again but she insists on going with me.!!!

• Praying right now Warren. Everything will be fine. Love ya..

Good Morning Cuz and All,

Can not wait to see you my cuz....Love and Miss ya..

• Thank you all. Your prayers were answered! PSA <0.1 (That is perfect for my condition). NO Tumors in the bladder. I am a bit uncomfortable right now but it is worth it because of the good news. My Urologist is a Giant fan so we hit it off great. He was as happy with my results as I was. Now if we could get someone to help Carol. :D-Y

• HEY WARREN

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU DUDE

BUT TO LET YOU KNOW YOUR A STORNG OLD GOAT AND YOUR FROM BROOKLYN THAT HAS ALOT TO DO WITH IT

ALSO WARREN

THAT WAS A GREAT STORY I DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT TYPE OF STUFF GOING ON AROUND HERE ALL I KNEW WE HARBORD

ALOT OF WAR SHIPS WE STILL DO MOSTLY IN STATEN ISLAND

BE WELL MY FRIEND

ALSO CAROL MY PARYERS GO OUT TO BOTH OF YOU

• Hello-Thanks Terry for thinking of me & the family...for all u snowlovers back east-getting up to 9 inches of snow-starting this afternoon into tomorrow-so I'm taking the day off tomorrow & sleeping late...Warren-glad u had good results..prayers for Carol too...don't know if I can make the dressfitting for my gown tonite-will play it by ear...anyway, if I don't come on tomorrow-enjoy the weekend everyone.....bye

• Old Goat in FL said:

Thank you all. Your prayers were answered! PSA <0.1 (That is perfect for my condition). NO Tumors in the bladder. I am a bit uncomfortable right now but it is worth it because of the good news. My Urologist is a Giant fan so we hit it off great. He was as happy with my results as I was. Now if we could get someone to help Carol. :D-Y

I am so happy. Now we have to work on prayers for Carol...thank you Lord for answering our prayers.

• Watching American Idol

Good Night Sweet Dreams

• Thank you again for all your well wishes and prayers. Still a little uncomfortable especially when I pee. The Doctor goes up what is normally a one way street the wrong way. I have had it done many times and you have to drink plenty of water to keep from clotting up. That happened to me once a few years ago and I had to have a catheter inserted and wear the bag for a few days. Do not want that to ever happen again...

Anthony, what went on in Brooklyn during WW2 was amazing. When we had an air raid drill their was a man on the block who wore a pith helmet with C/D on it. (Civilian Defense) You had to put out your lights or cover the windows with heavy dark curtains or drapes. He would go up and down the street and bang on your door or window and shout out to extinguish the light. There was so much war effort in Brooklyn and in the Harbor that the Government was quite concerned that we would be a target for German Bombers if they got this far. Where the Verazzano Bridge is now there were submarine nets stretched across the narrows. They were controlled by troops in Ft Hancock in Staten Island. If they did not have clearance a ship could not get in the harbor and they were lucky they did not get blown out of water. The number of troop and liberty ships that went out of NY Harbor was unbelieveable. Many left from the Brooklyn Army Base near Bush Terminal piers. :salut:

WARREN..SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I REALLY HOPE & PRAY

CAROL FIND SOMEONE TO HELP HER.. [-oB

HI UMBRIA.. NICE TO SEE YOU ON HERE!!

HEY CUZ.. MISS YOU TOO, BUT WE WILL HAVE ALOT OF LAUGHS

TONITE. CAN'T WAIT..XX

HI ANNA..ENJOY YOUR TIME OFF..I WISH WE HAD A SNOWSTORM

HERE. I JUST LOVE THE SNOW!!!!! ENJOY!!!

T.G.I.F., PEOPLE.. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!! :-)

• Good Morning..stayed home & relaxed yesterday(nice snowstorm)..yesterday was Jessica's birthday (28) so Jessica, Steve & I went to Red Lobster for dinner and to the casino (didn't win but that was ok-had fun anyway) Today we're going to Tina's house with the bridesmaids for lunch & to talk "wedding stuff"..had my 1st fitting for my gown on Thursday-it fit me perfectly-no alterations-yay-saved money!!! Anyway, everyone enjoy your weekend-talk to us soon....bye

• I am finding out that an older body can react differntly and at times not the same as a younger body. I have had many Cystoscopies. This one however waited a full day and 1/2 before reacting on me. Just when I thought I had it made I started to pass clots and blood. Usually I do a little of that the first day but it came full blast on Friday. I called my Urologist. he was concerned but thought that perhaps the Coumadin was causing some of the problem. However, I have been on Coumadin a long time and had Cysto's in the past when I was on it. Anyway by Saturday it seems to have calmed down. I have been drinking tons of water. That is neccessary to prevent clot stopping up the Urinary track. I am also exhausted. I feel like I did a days work and I did bupkus! Oh well, at least the medical results of the tests were good and that is the main thing... :pale:

• HI GUYS..

WARREN.. HOPE YOU'RE OK..& CAROL, TOO..XX

WENT OUT LAST NIGHT TO EAT WITH CUZ TERRY, MILDRED,

CAROL L., KAREN DRITTO & FESTINA.. WE HAD A GREAT

TIME & SOME GOOD LAUGHS. CANNOT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN.

(SURPRISED MY CUZ DID NOT POST PIX YET??)SHE MUST BE

BUSY TODAY..

JUST A MENTION..DEBIIE M. IS IN THE HOPSITAL. SHE TEXT ME

LAST NIGHT WHEN I WAS OUT..SHE IS GETTING A THOROUGH

CHECK UP. SHE HAD PNEUMONIA A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, STILL SHE IS NOT FEELING TOO WELL..PRAYERS WILL HELP. SHE MAYBE HOME BY MONDAY...

ANNA..WISH JESSICA A HAPPY BIRRTHDAY FOR ME & SOUNDS LIKE

YOU HAD FUN..WE HAD SNOW TODAY FOR A FEW MINUTES. IT WAS

WEIRD..THE SUN WAS OUT & ALL OF A SUDDEN IT BECAME DARK &

WE HAD FLURRIES..I HUNG CLOTHES OUT ON THE LINE B/C THE

SUN WAS OUT, THAN I HAD TO PULL THEM IN A WHILE LATER &

DRY THEM INSIDE ANYWAY..LOL

EVERYONE, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND & I WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU

ALL LATER... :)

EVERYONE..ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR WEEKEND.

• Feeling a lot better this AM. Guess the old body just needs more time to recup. Carol is doing fairly well. She ate mildly yesterday and her inards are behaving fairly well.Has the start of a migraine but hopefully that will pass quickly.

Some more WWII memories. They had a dance in a band shell in Prospect Park one night a week. Some of the soldiers stationed in the artillery unit on Lookout Mountain would get passes and come down and dance with the girls who came to the dance. You must remember that most of the guys of dating age in the Slope were in the service stationed all over the world. What happened in some of the darker areas of the park will never be told!!!

One Thanksgiving during the war Turkeys were all shipped overseas to the Soldiers, Sailors & Marines. My brother Dave worked in the Palace Meat market (before he left & I got the job) but despite the connection we had to settle for a Capon for Thanksgiving dinner. Rationing was on and we had to come up with enough Rationing stamps to get a meal and the fixings that went with it.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!! :jocolor:

WARREN.. THE DANCE SHELL.. A BUNCH OF US WOULD GO ON THURSDAYS TO LISTEN TO LIVE BANDS THERE. (IN THE 60'S)

TO EALRY 70'S) THEY STILL

HAVE BANDS THERE IN THE SUMMER.. WHAT GREAT MEMORIES!!

WEATHER IS NICE TODAY.. EVERYONE, ENJOY!!! :flower:

• Some of the favorite songs during the war were as follows

"Praise The Lord & Pass The Ammunition"

"Lets Remember Pearl Harbor"

"Rosie The Riveter"

Lets remember Pearl harbor went something like this:

Lets remember Pearl Harbor as we go to meet the foe

Lets remember Pearl Harbor as we did the Alamo

We will always remember how they died to set men free

Lets remember Pearl Harbor and go on to victory.

"praise the Lord.....

Praise the Lord & pass the Amunition

Praise the Lord and Pass the amunition

Praise the Lord & pass the amunition and we'll all go free

Do not remember the words to Rosie the Riveter but it was a tribute to the women who worked in the Defense plants while the men were overseas fighting.

Of course we as kids made up our own songs like this one

Whistle while you work

Hitler is a Jerk

Musselini is a weenie

And the Japs are worse!!!

What a time to grow up.... :salut:

• Hi everyone-quick typeby-back in work today (ugh) nice outside-close to 50...went to Tina's for lunch on Saturday-got a lot accomplished re: the shower & wedding...I remember I was very little and my Mom would take me and my brother up to Prospect Park (with all the neighbors) to hear & dance to the music..it was so much fun..what great memories....have a great day.......bye

HI ANNA..HOPE ALL IS WELL..

WHERE IS EVERYONE??? 8O

WEATHER NOT TOO BAD.. ENJOY!!! :-)

• HELLO PEEPS

ITS A SAD DAY IN BROOKLYNS SOUTH SLOPE

Mcgovern Florist IS NO MORE

IT HAS BEEN SOLD TO GREENWOOD AND WILL BE RESTORED

AND MADE INTO A INFO CENTER AND MUSEUM FOR THE CEMITERY

• WELL I WENT OUT FOR A RIDE TODAY AND STOPPED BY MCGOVERS

THE RESORETION DEPT. WAS THERE TAKING PHOTOS AND MAKEING DRAWINGS I ASK ONE OF THE GUYS FOR A BRICK AND HE GAVE ME ONE SAYING I AM LUCKY TO OWN ONE I DONT KNOW IF I AM LUCKY OR NOT BUT HEY I GOT A BRICK A PEICE OF BROOKLYN HISTORY

• Anthony, If that is the Florist I am thinking of it was once, many years ago, Weber/McLoughlin Florist. It was run by Harriet Weber Young who was very active in our Church on 12th Street. She would have a strawberry Festival for the Ladies Aid Group of the Church and serve Strawberries out in the Garden. When we had the Anniversary Day Parade in June, she would donate the Ice Cream bricks from Droge's in Bay Ridge. They were cut in slices and served to all the kids & adults who marched in the parade. She was quite a lady. You are right. The History of the slope is slipping away from us. Since Germains closed I can't imagine how many store name changes there have been. Even most of the Bars on 5th Avenue have different names.. As the saying goes "Time Marches On".

• Good Morning Friends.......

...For All Who Remember.....

Photobucket

• HI WARREN

SORRY I WAS WRONG ABOUT THAT

Weber/McLoughlin Florist WAS ALSO ON 25TH STREET BUT ON 4TH AVE.

• REST IN PEACE DAVIE JONES OF THE MONKEYS PASSED TODAY AT THE AGE OF 66

• Whats happening to the pages weren't we on like 46 or something. oh well how is everyone, been so busy lately...

Have a good night

LOL.. I CAME ON THIS MORNING & WHEN I SAW PAGE 23 I

THOUGHT BLOG WAS DOWN, SO I CALLED MY CUZ & HAD HER

THINKING TO BLOG WAS DOWN.. (SORRY CUZ) #-o

WHAT HAPPENED TO PAGES 24 THRU 46???

OH WELL, ANOTHER BLOG MYSTERY..

HI UMBRIA, JOEBROOXX, JUDY & WARREN..HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU GUYS..

JUST SPOKE TO DEBBIE..SHE IS FEELING BETTER, HOPEFULLY

SHE WILL COME ON & POST SOON.. BUSY DAY TODAY, SO I'LL

CHECK

BACK LATER.. :-)

• It is very ironic that when I complained a week or so ago about entries not appearing until the next day I was sort of scoffed at. What was going on was it was the first entry on a new page and that page did not pop up until the next day. Now we jumped backwards from page 46 to page 23!!!

whaaaasup????? :lame:

• HELLO ALL

WHAT THEY DID WAS ADDED THE PAGES TOGETHER

SO PAGE 1 AND PAGE 2 BECAME PAGE 1 AND SO ON AND SO ON

NO BIGGIE

• THE BIGGIE IS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SO CALL STORM THAT WAS TO HIT HERE WHATS GOING ON WITH THIS WEATHER IS IT GOING TO SNOW IN THE SUMMER

• Hey Anthony, Thanks for the heads up on the page confusion. The admins should take note that a little communication about changes like that would go a long way to avoiding confusion by those using th blog! It may not seem like a big deal but it is obvious that people keep track of the page numbers... #-o

• Sorry! I changed the number of posts per page to 50 (was 25).

THANX, HONORARY FELLOW..IT'S ALL GOOD.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.

LOTS OF RAIN COMING TOMORROW.BUT THAT'S FINE.

IT'S A GOOD DAY TO STAY IN THE HOUSE & CLEAN & COOK.

HAVE A GREAT DAY, ALL!!! :-)

• NAME THIS PLACE....

Photobucket

Attached files image
  • Good Morning All.......

...Lets play a game.....Name these places and give their locations...!

imageimage

• See how many you can Identify.....gave Name & Location.....

• WOW A LITTLE HISTORY LESSON

THE WEIR GREENHOUSE WAS BILT IN 1880 BY THE WEIR FAMILY

I TOLD YOU I GOT A BRICK FROM THE GREENHOUSE AND THAT CAME FROM THE WILLAM A UNDERHILL BRICKS IN CROTON ON THE HUDSON

IN 1971 KAY MCGOVERN TOOK OVER THE GREENHOUSE

• Okay Joe, I have been gone a long time but I recognize the 14th Regiment Armory, 14th st & 8th Ave. Also the IND subway bridge over 4th Ave between 9th & 10th Street. Did you know that years ago there was a sign painted on the top of the Prospect on 9th Street that said "Talking Movies"...

Anthony, you have a piece of Brooklyn History with that Brick. Please do not throw it at the Yuppies on 5th Ave.... =;

• Very Good Warren.....as far as Anthony's Brick goes....He said he was gonna hit me with it the next time I see Him....YIKES...!

• Good Morning Folks.....

....Photobucket

• Hi Everyone,

I know I haven't been on much...just so busy with my daughter....she is having an Engagement party in a few weeks and I am trying to plan her baby shower....(a little out of order but what can I do..lol).

She found out she is having a BOY!!!! So at least that makes it a little easier in trying to buy things for the baby..(lets hope the doctors are correct!!!).

I know this is a very exciting time, but being the person I am I am just so overwhelmed...I want to do everything today!!!! I can't tell you how many things I bought already and then returned...LOL

Also, all I keep thinking about is my mom and not having her there for her shower is killing me...Me and Crystal are going there today and we will tell her about the baby...don't know if she will understand but I want her to see Crystal in person when I tell her....

Well everyone have a great day.....

• Hi-nice day today..Judy-some good advice-take things slow, write everything down that has to be done (in order),breathe deeply,try to enjoy the moment, don't worry about anything-it will all come together in the end (you may not think so but it will...LOL)..and if it doesn't-no big deal-most people don't notice & if they do-who cares...preparing for Jessica's shower on April 7...need any more advice-PM me....have a great day!!!!

• MORE ON THE GREENHOUSE

In 1880 Weir commissioned a wood and glass greenhouse for the site at the corner of 25th Street and Fifth Avenue where the establishment is still located. This new building was designed, not by a commercial greenhouse manufacturer, but by the prominent local architect Mercein Thomas, who was responsible for a large number of extremely fine Romanesque Revival and Queen style residences in Brooklyn's choicest residential neighborhoods.

• NOW REMEMBER THE ONLY HOUSE ON 25TH STREET BETWEEN 4TH-5TH AVE THE SON OF MR.WEIR LIVED THERE IT WAS OWNER BY HIS FATHER

• HI GUYS..

BUSY WEEKEND!!! JUST WANTED TO POP ON & SAY 'HELLO'.

JUDY..ALL GOOD THINGS GOING ON IN YOUR LIVES.

SO MUCH TO BE GRATEFUL FOR.. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN

ABOUT YOUR MOM..WITH EVERY BABY I HAD, I ALWAYS

WISHED MY MOM WAS HERE TO SEE & MEET THEM.

SOMEHOW, OR OTHER, I THINK YOUR MOM WILL UNDERSTAND

ABOUT HER GREAT GRANDSON. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

& CONGRATS!!! A NEW BABY BOY.. HOW EXCITING!!

HI UMBRIA, WARREN & ANNA & JOEBROXX..I HAD A HECTIC

WEEKEND.., SO NOW I AM RELAXING..

ANNA, TONIGHT IS CELEBRTIY APPRENTICE.. I THINK

YOU WERE THE ONE WHO TOLD ME YOU WATCHED IT..??

IF SO, ENJOY!!!

EVERYONE HAVE GREAT NIGHT & C U ALL IN THE MORNING.

XX :)

• Hi Patsy-yes, I'm waiting for it to start in the next five minutes...I love that show!! talk to u soon....bye

• Photobucket

Con Ed sub station - 5th Ave Between 23rd & 24th street....

When I was a kid, I was afraid of the chain link fence...I thought it was electrified and was afraid to touch it....

...Silly ,Silly Boy...!

A LITTLE BIT NIPPY OUT THERE.. STAY WARM &

EVERYONE ENJOY YOUR DAY!!! :-)

• A bit nippy here also Patsy. Old man winter came barreling back in yesterday with strong winds and cooler temps. Overnight it got downright cold. Put the heat back up 5:30 this morning. We had it set on A/C last week. We have high hopes that it is winters last stand!!!

Carol goes for her annual Mammo this AM. They went to the digital test a couple of years ago and Carol says it is much less stressful and less painful then the old type. She went on new eye drops over the weekend and last night got dizzy.We will ask the Eye Doctor tomorrow when I go for my exam if the drops could have caused her dizzyness. They are prescription drops rather then over the counter. Enough medical crap. Glad to see some baseball on MLB TV yesterday. It is only spring training but it is better then nothing which is usually on Sunday afternoon now that Football season (A very triumphant season for the Giants) is over. :lol:

I WROTE A WHOLE POST HIT SEND IT LOGGED ME OUT. ](*,)

WARREN.. I SAID IN THE LAST POST I HOPE CAROL'S MAMMO WENT WELL & SHE IS FEELING BETTER.

YAY, BASEBALL SEASON :cheers:

I THINK MY KIDS, MAY BE GOING TO OPENING DAY AT CITIFIELD.

WHEN JASON & NATALIE WERE YOUNGER, ME & MY EX HUBBY NAT ALWAYS TOOK THEM TO OPENING DAY AT SHEA. IT WAS LIKE

A HOLIDAY TO US. THOSE WERE SOME GOOD TIMES.. NOW, WITH MY

HUBBY GINO, IT'S DIFFERENT WITH HIM BEING A YANKEES FAN.

BUT IT'S STILL FUN WHEN WE HAVE TO DEFEND OUR TEAMS TO

EACH OTHER..LETS THE GAMES BEGIN...

EVERYONE, HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :-)

• Good Morning All......

Joe Pinto and Al Capara...

Attached files image
This discussion has been closed.